| 10.4°C Dublin

Mr Slow is standing by his plan...but get ready for the U-turn

THE city's Mr Slow, Andrew Montague, has claimed the 30kph speed limit will cut the death rate on our roads by half, even though the controversial law now seems certain to be overturned.

He said it was the same in other cities when they brought in the reduced limit.

"I don't see any good reason why if it halved the death rate in Newcastle, it wouldn't half the death rate in Dublin," Mr Slow said.

He hit back at critics of the 30kph speed limit, saying the public had the opportunity to express their objections before the bye-law was passed.

But the new restrictions are expected to be overturned after the issue was reopened for public consultation.

The Labour Party councillor, from Ballymun, said originally only two submissions were made about the new lower restrictions in the city centre, both of which were passed.

He said other groups, including the AA, failed to put in any submissions, either for or against the limit.

Speaking to the Herald, Mr Slow said: "A lot of people are now saying they didn't get a chance to have their say but only two submissions in favour of the new speed limit were made.





Highlight

"They did have a chance to voice their opinion. It went out for public consultation. I did a lot of interviews before both submissions were passed to highlight the issue on various high-profile programmes including on Morning Ireland."

However, Mr Slow admitted it is "not unusual" for an issue like this to go unnoticed until it is in force, resulting in a delayed reaction.

He also deemed it "far too early" to tell whether the lower speed limits, which were introduced 11 days ago, have been a disaster.

But he insisted that slower speeds are good for business as it creates a "first-class experience" for pedestrian shoppers and it is "absolutely vital" for motorists to continue to drive at 30 kph in certain areas to create a friendly shopping experience.





Surprised

Mr Slow, who championed the extension of the new lower limits in the city centre, admitted to the Herald he is surprised at the level of flak he has received, but said: "I am listening so I am putting it out there for people to express their opinions. Let's get all the views of everyone who is interested in this and go back and look at it again."

Labour councillors were unable to agree on a joint strategy at a meeting earlier this week but appointed Mr Slow and Cllr Lacey to work on a motion in response to criticism of the limit.

Mr Slow confirmed they are in the process of hashing out the motion and met yesterday to discuss it further. The motion will be submitted at the next full Dublin City Council meeting on March 1.

hnews@herald.ie


Privacy