| 15.9°C Dublin

Mother subjected to terrifying ordeal while child asleep young son slept


Block in Longford where woman was attacked

Block in Longford where woman was attacked

Block in Longford where woman was attacked

Block in Longford where woman was attacked


Block in Longford where woman was attacked

A young mother was assaulted, threatened with a gun and tied up in her home in a terrifying ordeal while her young son was in bed.

A gang of three men forced their way into her home at gunpoint shortly before 3am yesterday.

The woman, who lives in Market Square in Longford town, was subjected to more than an hour of terror as the trio demanded to know where cash was kept in her home.

The gang finally left with a quantity of cash, believed to be several thousand euro.

The woman was injured by the gang, one of whom threatened her with a firearm. Her young son was unharmed.


The traumatised mother received medical treatment following the attack.

Gardai in Longford have set up an incident room to deal with the serious crime and have appealed for help from the public.

They want to hear from any-one who was in the vicinity of Market Square between 2am and 6am. A Garda hotline in the incident room is 043 3350570.

Local councillor Seamus Butler said the community was shocked.

"The community are deeply upset by this attack on a young mother in her home. It's terrible that such a crime could happen in our midst," he said.

"The fact that this young mother was vulnerable and alone with her young child when she was attacked makes it all the worse.

"I hope the perpetrators are caught soon. It's time these bully boys were stopped. A woman's home should be a safe place.

"This terrible crime contrasts with a wonderful family event which took place in the Market Square less than 24 hours later, when a Halloween festival brought more than a thousand people, parents and children, into the square."

Meanwhile, in Donegal, gardai are hunting a sex attacker after a man broke into a young woman's apartment and assaulted her.

The woman, who is in her 20s, was attacked in an apartment complex in Letterkenny.

The man broke into the apartment, carried out the attack and fled minutes later.

The incident happened between 4am and 5am last Sunday week.

Gardai are reluctant to release details of the attack, but they have confirmed they preserved the scene of the attack and examined it.


They have also been trawling through hours of CCTV footage in a bid to identify possible suspects who were in the area at the time.

All CCTV footage of roads leading to the apartment block are also being examined.

Checkpoints were also set up last Saturday night in the area of the attack in a bid to jog the memories of people who may have witnessed the attacker hanging around the area.