| 7.6°C Dublin

More anguish for slain Ken's family as remains held

The family of murdered Ken Fetherston fear it could be next month before they get to hold his funeral because of delays in having his body released to them by authorities.

Ken's grieving father Brian told the Herald it would be next Friday at the earliest before Ken's remains were handed over.

The Tallaght man's remains were discovered in the Dublin mountains two weeks ago, four months after he vanished.

The father of a three-year-old girl had gone to meet some business associates in Landy's industrial estate in Knocklyon but was never seen alive again.

His bloodstained red Honda Civic car was dumped in a lay-by in Gorey, Co Wexford to throw gardai off the scent of where his body was dumped.

The case had gone cold until the end of January when a hill-walker discovered scattered human remains off the Military Road above Rathfarnham.

The bones were later identified as those of the 26-year-old Tallaght man, and gardai immediately launched a murder investigation.

Brian Fetherston told the Herald today that they were still waiting to have his son's remains released to them so they could give him a Christian burial.

"It is frustrating to have to wait, but we understand gardai have to do a job and it wouldn't be right for us to impede them because they have to get their case 100pc right," said Brian.

"We were hoping we would have him back last week, but last night we were told it will be tomorrow week at the earliest.

"It is very hard. We have our good days and our bad days, but at least we know where he is now.

"And if the gardai are able to bring charges down the line we know they have to have a watertight case, so it is not our place to put pressure on them."

As they prepared to hold Ken's funeral, Brian spoke of the mixed emotions of the discovery of his remains.

"We are happy in the knowledge that he is safe now and we know where he is," Brian explained.

"And while we were realistic in our thoughts that Ken had been killed, the discovery of his body shut the door for good on any slim hope that he might have been alive somewhere. We have to accept that he is well and truly gone. It is so difficult, and so tough."

Brian and his family are now preparing for a long road ahead as the murder investigation gets under way.

"Our first concern was finding Ken, and now we have him back," he told the Herald.

"Our next aim was doing right by him, and we hope to do that in the coming days by organising the funeral that he would have liked.

"The next thing, and maybe it will take time, is the hope that the gardai can get a breakthrough and that justice will be done."

Gardai investigating the murder of Ken are anxious to talk to anyone who was in the area of Landy's Industrial Estate in Knocklyon on or around September 22 last year.

They are also appealing to anyone who may have spotted Ken's red Honda Civic, registration 93 D 44862, and anyone who may have spotted suspicious activity either in the Military Road area of Rathfarnham over the past few months, or at Perrymount area of Gorey around the time the car was driven there last September.