| 10.6°C Dublin

Mobile phone charger sparks house fire

THIS shocking images shows the damage caused by a phone charger fire in Dublin.

The blackened walls of the bedroom in Castleknock were damaged when an overheating mobile phone charger sparked a blaze.

Dublin Fire Brigade has issued a fresh warning to people about the dangers of leaving appliances plugged in for too long.

Thankfully no one was hurt in the fire, but the fire brigade told the Herald that these cases are "run of the mill".


Emergency services were called to the scene by the occupants of the house at around 11.20am on Sunday. The firefighters managed to get the fire under control.

Dublin Fire Brigade was unsure of the origin of the charger that started the fire, but they warned people that plug-in air-fresheners also need to be monitored carefully.

A spokesperson for Dublin Fire Brigade told the Herald that they are always trying to raise awareness about the issue so that people learn to be vigilant when it comes to chargers and other plugs likely to overheat.

Meanwhile, a man in his 20s was brought to hospital for burns on his hands after he tried to extinguish a fire in his kitchen in Glasthule.

Shortly after 6am, Dun Laoghaire fire station dispatched units to the south Dublin home. The fire was brought under control quickly and the young man was the only person injured in the incident.

"He suffered burns on his hands when he was trying to tackle the fire himself with a fire extinguisher, which we do not recommend," the spokesperson said.

"We recommend that if there's a fire, you get out."