| -1.1°C Dublin

Man's skull fractured in vicious random city attack

Close

Gardai (Stock image)

Gardai (Stock image)

Gardai (Stock image)

THE HUNT is on for a man who launched an unprovoked attacked on a council official and fractured his skull as he made his way home.

Herbert Mulligan (36), from Ranelagh, Dublin was hospitalised after the brutal attack in the early hours of Sunday morning.

It is understood that Mr Mulligan was approached by a man in his 20s, near the junction of Camden Street and Harrington Street at around 5.05am.

There was a brief conversation, before Mr Mulligan was punched in the head, knocking him to the ground.

He was then punched a number of times while he was on the ground before his assailant ran off in the direction of Wexford Street.

Mr Mulligan received serious  head injuries. His attacker has been described as being in his 20s with black hair. He was wearing a dark top and blue jeans at the time.

Paramedics form Dublin Fire Brigade attended to him and brought him to St James’s hospital where his condition is described as serious.

The scene was sealed off for a technical examination.

Mr Mulligan’s father, also named Herbert Mulligan, is a well-respected editor of the Health & Safety Review (HSR), an industry magazine.

Last night he said that his son’s condition was “stable” but that he couldn’t comment further on what had happened, because he was unclear about the details.

“I don’t know enough about it to really say anything,” he said. Mr Mulligan said that his wife was very upset over the incident.

Gardai have begun reviewing CCTV footage and have appealed for witnesses or anyone who may have any information, to come forward.

It is believed a number of people gathered around to help the injured party as he lay on the footpath prior to the arrival of the ambulance.

Officers are interested in hearing from them.

“This was an opportunistic, unprovoked attack on a man as he made his way home,” a source said.

The attack happened near the spot where journalist Eugene Moloney was attacked and killed in 2012.

Gary Burch (22), of Kennington Close, Templeogue, Co Dublin, was handed a five-and-half-year sentence for the manslaughter.

Mr Moloney (55), from Co Donegal, began his career at the Irish News in Belfast during the 1970s and 1980s before moving to the Irish Independent in Dublin where he worked for more than 20 years. He had been freelancing for the Irish Daily Mail at the time of his death.

The journalist was walking home when a verbal row broke out between him and a group of younger, drunk men

Gardai have asked anyone with information on the latest attack to contact them in Kevin Street on 01 6669400, the garda confidential line on 1800 666 111 or any garda station.

hnews@herald.ie


Privacy