| 15°C Dublin

Man's leg is broken in vicious city bar brawl


The scenes outside Ned’s pub on Townsend Street as armed gardai deal with the brawl’s aftermath

The scenes outside Ned’s pub on Townsend Street as armed gardai deal with the brawl’s aftermath

The scenes outside Ned’s pub on Townsend Street as armed gardai deal with the brawl’s aftermath

Armed gardai were called to a bar brawl in Dublin city centre during which a baseball bat was produced and one man suffered a broken leg.

The attack occurred in Ned's Bar, on Townsend Street in the south-inner city.

Our pictures show armed detectives at the scene in the aftermath of the attack, dealing with two bloodied men who were injured in the incident.

The bar brawl occurred at approximately 12.45pm yesterday afternoon near Pearse Street Garda Station.

It is understood a foreign national entered the licensed premises, and after a short time proceeded to punch a reveller.


A number of individuals then became involved in the brawl, and one man was beaten with a baseball bat. One of the windows of the premises was then smashed before the dispute spilled out onto the busy road.

An eye-witness said two men appeared badly injured in the aftermath of the attack.

"They were beating one guy with a baseball bat, it was very violent. One of the injured men was giving the gardai grief when they arrived, and was threatening to go after his attackers," a witness told the Herald.

"The guy had blood all over him, and even when his friends cleaned him up his face was still badly bruised.

Paramedics were trying to tend to him but he just started screaming and kicking, so he had to be restrained by detectives," they added.

A 23-year-old male was detained by gardai for public order-related offences, while another man was treated at the scene. The arrested man was released from Pearse Street Garda Station yesterday evening without charge.

It is also understood that one man was brought to hospital after suffering a broken leg in the fracas.

Just minutes before the incident, in a separate attack in the city centre, a male was stabbed by his brother following an argument in a pub.

A row is believed to have occurred between the two men near Dublin's O'Connell Street before a knife was produced.

One of the men was then stabbed by his sibling a number of times in the leg and back.

The injured brother was rushed to the Mater Hospital, and required emergency surgery last night after it emerged that he suffered a laceration to his kidney.

However, his injures are being described as "non-life threatening". The attack occurred at approximately 12.30pm on Bachelor's Walk.


One man was arrested at the scene in relation to the incident and brought to Store Street Garda Station, where he was questioned under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act.

In an unrelated attack, a man was slashed by two assailants who called to his home in the Coolock area of the city on Tuesday night.

It is believed two men arrived at the property on Adare Road at approximately 9.20pm.

When a male aged in his mid-30s answered the door, the two thugs slashed him before fleeing the scene.

The victim was brought to hospital with non-life threatening injuries, while no arrests have yet been made.