| 14.9°C Dublin

Man shot dead after London attack was convicted terrorist


An armed policeman at the scene

An armed policeman at the scene

An armed policeman at the scene

The man shot dead by police following a stabbing attack in south London was a convicted terrorist who had recently been released from prison.

It is understood Sudesh Amman, who was jailed for possessing and distributing terrorist documents in December 2018, was freed in the past six weeks.

He was thought to have been staying in a bail hostel in Tulse Hill.

Amman, who at the time of his sentencing was 18-years-old and had an address in Harrow, north-west London, had been jailed for three years and four months.

Two people were stabbed in yesterday's attack in Streatham, which police believe to be "Islamist-related".

Scotland Yard said armed officers shot dead a man as part of a "proactive counter-terrorism operation" on Streatham High Road.

Three victims were taken to hospital, with one man's condition life-threatening and one woman being treated for lesser injuries.

Police said a second woman received minor injuries caused by glass following the discharge of a police firearm.

A device found strapped to the body of the suspect was a hoax.

The Metropolitan Police said in a statement: "The situation has been contained and off- icers from the Met's Counter Terrorism Command are now leading an investigation into the incident.

"It was quickly declared as a terrorist incident and we believe it to be Islamist-related."


One witness described seeing the man apparently carrying a weapon with "silver canisters on his chest" being shot in front of a Boots store.

Another said members of the public came to the aid of victims, with one saying she had been stabbed.

People took shelter in nearby shops.

Jonathan Bartley, a councillor for the St Leonard's ward on Lambeth Council, said: "There's absolute shock and disbelief from residents that are around. There was a sense of panic and fear when it happened.

"The emergency services seemed to have reacted incredibly quickly, so quickly that you wonder whether they had received some advance warning about this."

Prime minister Boris Johnson said he will announce plans today for "fundamental changes to the system for dealing with those convicted of terrorism offences".

"Following the awful events at Fishmongers' Hall in Dec- ember, we have moved quickly to introduce a package of measures to strengthen every element of our response to terrorism, including longer prison sentences and more money for the police," he said.

Families at the scene last night could be heard asking police how they would be able to access their homes in light of the incident.

Stranded residents were being offered temporary accommodation inside the Odeon cinema within the cordon, with workers at Lambeth Council inside looking after those affected.