A DUBLIN youth has been sent forward for trial over an alleged knife attack in which a man was a millimetre from losing an eye.
Two boys, aged 16 and 17, who cannot be identified, are facing assault, aggravated burglary and criminal damage charges following an incident in Tallaght, at 12.50am on January 15.
It is alleged the 17-year-old slashed the man's face with a 12-inch knife.
Yesterday at the Dublin Children's Court a book of evidence was served on the older defendant, who is required to obey bail conditions. Judge William Early made an order sending him forward for trial to the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court, where his next hearing will be held on November 20.
The 17-year-old, who was accompanied to the hearing by his mother, was told his bail would be revoked if he did not obey conditions which include a curfew, a requirement to sign on daily at a garda station and to stay away from the location of the alleged offence.
In evidence, Det Garda Dave Jennings had said it was alleged that the homeowner's teenage son had been watching TV in their home when the two youths "forced their way in".
It was claimed there was a struggle between the youths and the teenager received "a couple of blows to the side of the head and boxes to the face".
The teenage boy managed to fend off the two alleged raiders and forced them out of the house. It was alleged that at this point the younger defendant handed a knife to the 17-year-old and they used it to smash the front door of the house.
The homeowner then came downstairs to confront them. It was alleged the 17-year-old "swung the knife at the injured party catching him from the base of his nose right up under the eye with the tip of the knife".
Det Gda Jennings said this attack "could have resulted in the loss of an eye, there was a millimetre in the difference". He had also said the man and his son were, "terrified, extremely upset and traumatised as a result of this incident".