| 14.4°C Dublin

Man 'kept contacting' victim while out on bail in coercive control case


Court heard man stamped on and broke woman’s arm

Court heard man stamped on and broke woman’s arm

Court heard man stamped on and broke woman’s arm

A man convicted of the coercive control and multiple ass-aults of his former partner had his bail revoked after approaching the woman on a street and "continually" contacting her.

The 52-year-old, who cannot be named to protect the victim's identity, appeared before a sitting of Dublin District Court in March, when he was charged with coercive control, witness interference and assault.

He had already been charged with 10 counts of assault and successfully applied for bail in the High Court.

However, his bail was later revoked and he was remanded in custody after gardaí gave evidence that he had met up with the complainant in the case.

Det Sgt Michael Egan, att-ached to the Garda Protective Services Bureau, said there was evidence of the man "making continual contact" with the injured party and failing to keep sober habits.

A garda told the court he was off-duty in March when he observed the man with the victim. The officer said he believed contact had to have been made between the pair in order for the meeting to take place.

The officer said he was with his family and was not in a position to confront the man.

During that court sitting, evidence was also given of the accused being drunk on a number of occasions while signing on at a garda station.

He also failed to sign on five times, the court heard.

The presiding judge said he was not confident that the man would not attempt to make further contact with the complainant and revoked his bail.

Following a four-week trial, a jury found the man guilty of coercive control, intimidation, assault and 12 counts of assault causing harm.


He has since also pleaded guilty to a separate charge of intending to pervert the course of justice between last March and July.

That charge outlines that he engaged in telephone contact with the woman with the intention of encouraging her to withdraw her statements.

The trial heard the man and the woman began a relationship in which he became controlling, answering her mobile phone and isolating her from friends and family.

She described multiple acts of violence, including one where the man broke her arm after he had stamped on it and her head.

The jury acquitted him of a charge of assault causing harm relating to an incident where it was alleged he had pushed his former partner down the stairs.

It also returned a not guilty verdict on a single count of endangerment, which related to an allegation that he had pushed and lifted the woman toward the railings of a bridge, creating a substantial risk of death or harm to her.

During their relationship, the woman said she spent periods in Women's Aid shelters.

After the man broke her arm, hospital staff alerted gardaí and she gave a statement to them.

She testified that he told her he would circulate naked images and videos on the internet if she did not withdraw the allegations against him.

Judge Sheahan continued an order, made during the trial, that prohibits publication of any details that might identity the man or the complainant in either the trial or this separate offence.