| 13.9°C Dublin

Man hospitalised after vicious O'Connell street road-rage fight


Photo should be supplied with speeding summons, driver asks court

Photo should be supplied with speeding summons, driver asks court




Photo should be supplied with speeding summons, driver asks court

Gardai are investigating a second serious road-rage incident on the streets of the capital's city centre in less than a fortnight.

A 43-year-old man was hospitalised with serious facial injuries after he became involved in a brutal altercation with a 39-year-old motorist on O'Connell Street just before midnight on Wednesday.

The incident unfolded when the driver, who is from Dublin's north inner city, made an illegal turn on to O'Connell Street from Parnell Street and almost collided with a pedestrian.

Gardai understand that, after the near-collision, the pedestrian - a foreign national with an address in the Drumcondra area - began shouting abuse at the driver, who rolled down the window of his car to answer him back. The pedestrian then spat at the driver who got out of the car and punched the other man a number of times.

During the melee that followed, the pedestrian grabbed the car keys from the vehicle's ignition and then attempted to smash the windows of the car.


Gardai arrived at the scene and managed to get the keys out of the pedestrian's pockets before he was brought to hospital for treatment.

Sources say that both men could face criminal charges in relation to the road-rage incident - although neither man was arrested at the scene and full witness statements have yet to be taken.

The case is being investigated by gardai based at Store Street Garda Station.

The violent incident came exactly two weeks after a separate road-rage attack, in which a 32-year-old school bus driver was left with a broken nose.

That incident unfolded at the North Circular Road in Dublin at around 2.40pm on Wednesday, November 19, when a Mini car cut in front of a grey minibus.

This action forced the minibus driver - who has an address in Drogheda, Co Louth - to brake suddenly and it is understood that he may have beeped his horn, agitating the motorist who then jumped out of his car.

Sources say that he then entered the minibus by pushing the emergency exit button and proceeded to viciously attack the driver.

The bus driver was punched a number of times in the face and suffered a broken nose in the assault. He subsequently required hospital treatment.