| 12.5°C Dublin

Man gets jailed for 173 child sex crimes

A MAN has been jailed for 12 years after pleading guilty to 173 counts of rape, oral and anal rape and the sexual assault of three children.

The young boy and his two sisters suffered the horrific abuse between 2001 and 2010 and none were aware that the others were also being abused.

On occasion, he raped one of the sisters while his friend watched. The 61-year-old culprit has two previous convictions for sexual assaults.


The man, who cannot be named to protect the identities of his victims, pleaded guilty at the Central Criminal Court.

The sexual abuse began when each of the three siblings reached the age of six or seven. The man was in a relationship with the children's mother.

Mr Justice Paul Carney said the case involved "nearly every form of depravity it is possible to perpetrate on children".

The court heard that as soon as the man moved into the children's home, he established a "pattern of control" in the household and created an "element of fear".

The abuse started when the victims were aged six or seven and he would get each one to "find his tickles". The abuse included the girls being forced to watch pornography, perform oral sex, and undergo rape, oral and anal rape.

The offences took place in numerous locations including their mother's bedroom, bathrooms, on holidays in a caravan, in disabled toilets, in the back of a car and in shower cubicles at public swimming pools.

He took one of the girls to his friend's house and raped her while his friend watched.

When the three children made complaints to gardai and the accused was arrested, he initially denied everything but eventually accepted that the children were telling the truth.

The siblings said they remain terrified of swimming pools, caravans, graveyards and bogs and other places where they were raped and assaulted.

One of the girls, now 18, said she feels like she is in a "dark hole" and can't get out of it.

The 18-year-old boy said he felt suicidal at times. Judge Carney imposed a 15-year sentence and suspended the final three years.