| 9.6°C Dublin

Man gets 100 stitches in horror city slashing

A man needed 100 stitches to his face after it was slashed in a savage daylight city centre knife attack.

The attack happened on Lower Camden Street shortly after 4pm on Wednesday in front of dozens of shocked bystanders.

The victim, an Algerian in his 30s, was stabbed in the face by a man who his known to him.

Gardai are following a definite line of inquiry in relation to the stabbing and have identified the chief suspect, who is also an Algerian.

Sources today said the individual was attacked out of a "jealous rage" over the affections of an Irish woman.

The attacker is understood to have recently lost his job at a fast-food joint -- and was replaced by the man he assaulted.


Sources in the Islamic community said the feud was the result of a "love triangle".

"This victim was lured to Lower Camden Street under false pretences, by a former colleague.

"He was phoned by his attacker and was asked to meet up. When he arrived, a knife was pulled and his face was completely slashed," a source explained.

"He's recovering in hospital but he's in a bad way. This was nothing short of a jealous rage," the source added.

"The two men both became fond of the Irish woman who they worked with. The attacker lost his job and sought revenge on the man who had become close to the woman."

Searches of the suspected attacker's home address on the capital's northside have failed to locate the suspect and gardai are searching for him.

"It is understood he is known to the Garda National Immigration Bureau.

The victim has lived in Ireland for up to eight years

A senior source explained: "These men know each other very well -- they are in a bitter dispute about a deeply personal matter.


"This was a very serious incident -- the injuries that the victim suffered were appalling."

Gardai and members of Dublin Fire Brigade were quickly on the scene of the stabbing, which happened outside the Age Action charity shop.

The victim was brought to St James's Hospital, where he received treatment for his injuries.

Sources say that he is in "a distraught state" today over the matter.

An eyewitness told the Herald: "It was a terrible situation. There was blood everywhere -- it actually took the firemen a while to hose down the street.

"The man who was stabbed was in a dreadful way -- his face was destroyed. He was very upset when he was being put in the ambulance."

Detectives from Pearse Street are investigating the matter.