| 11.9°C Dublin

Man found in bedroom had skull fracture

A man who was found collapsed in his bedroom after spending the previous day drinking with friends had suffered a fracture to his skull, an inquest was told.

Dublin Coroner's Court heard from pathologist Dr Iqdam Tobbia that the fracture to the back of Krzysztof Kruk's skull could only have been caused by a "severe blunt trauma".

However, gardai found no evidence of an assault on Mr Kruk before his collapse.

The 32-year-old Polish national died at Connolly Hospital in Blanchardstown on November 14, 2012, having developed pneumonia while on a respirator.

He was admitted to hospital on September 9 after his housemates found him collapsed and unresponsive in his room. He never regained consciousness.

The inquest heard that Mr Kruk had spent the day before his collapse drinking with friends at his home at Liffey Lawns in Lucan, Co Dublin, at a barbecue celebrating the arrival of a new housemate.


The dead man's housemate Piotr Korczynski told gardai that he left the barbecue at 4pm and went to his room for the rest of the evening. There were three other men in Mr Kruk's company at the time.

At 11.15pm, Mr Korczynski was woken by noise and when he went to the landing he saw Mr Kruk crawling up the stairs and into his room. For the following half an hour he could hear Mr Kruk walking around his room and vomiting.

The alarm was raised the following morning when Mr Kruk could not be woken. He was initially taken to Connolly Hospital and then transferred to Beaumont Hospital for brain surgery. The treating surgeon at Beaumont contacted gardai, saying his injury may have been the result of an assault.

The inquest heard that said that there was no evidence of a fight or a fall.

Dr Tobbia said there could be a number of causes for the injury, including hitting the back of the head off a hard floor or receiving a blow.

He said that after hearing the evidence that Mr Kruk was seen crawling up the stairs, he believes that the dead man could have been suffering the effects of blood accumulating on the brain.

The inquest was adjourned to April 7 to hear further evidence.