| 3°C Dublin

Man fights for life after being run over by gang and attacked with bats


Gardai on Parnell Street, where Patrick Stokes was attacked

Gardai on Parnell Street, where Patrick Stokes was attacked

Gardai on Parnell Street, where Patrick Stokes was attacked

Gardai believe a gang of four thugs are behind the savage attack on a Dublin man who has been left fighting for his life.

Patrick Stokes (40), from Bayside, on the capital's northside, remained in a serious condition last night following the brutal attack in the capital's north inner city.

He was struck with a car and then set upon by men wielding baseball bats during the incident in the early hours of yesterday.

Witnesses described Mr Stokes' attackers as appearing to be of North African and Asian descent.

Mr Stokes was rushed to the Mater Hospital with serious head injuries.

Witnesses said a car drove down Hill Street at 12.20am and turned left on to Parnell Street.


It appeared to deliberately knock Mr Stokes down at the side of the road.

A number of men were then seen jumping out of the car and attacking him with weapons said to be bats or sticks.

The attackers then got back in the car and left the scene in the direction of Gardiner Street and Summerhill, leaving their seriously injured victim bleeding on the road.

Mr Stokes is not from the city centre, but had been socialising in the area having travelled from the northside on Thursday afternoon.

Gardai have not ruled out the possibility that a criminal gang, or members of the Travelling community, may have carried out the vicious assault.

Investigating officers have also been trying to ascertain a motive for the attack.

Parnell Street was closed from the junction with North Cumberland Street as far as the junction with Gardiner Street early yesterday morning.

Members of the Garda Technical Bureau carried out a forensic examination of the scene.

Gardai confirmed they are investigating a hit-and-run traffic collision and an alleged assault.

"A man in his 40s was discovered with serious injuries following the incident. The man was removed by ambulance to the Mater Hospital," a spokesperson said.

"Gardai believe that the man was struck by a green or blue-coloured Audi saloon car, which left the scene in the direction of Summerhill.

"Witnesses also allege that a number of men got out from this car and assaulted the man," the spokesperson added.

While the area of the attack is close to the streets where attacks related to the Kinahan and Hutch feud have occurred, gardai do not believe it was related to the gang war that has led to a dozen deaths so far.

Gardai have been examining CCTV footage from the area and are appealing for witnesses to come forward.

The case is being investigated by Mountjoy gardai.


Officers are also investigating a separate violent brawl at a highly respected pub in nearby Phibsborough, which is not linked to the earlier events in the north inner city.

Three men were taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries after the incident unfolded at about 2.30am yesterday.

It is understood that about 10 people were involved in the row and a number of male suspects from the capital's northside and Co Kildare have been identified.