| 8.3°C Dublin

Man 'fell to his death in flats rubbish chute'

GARDAI believe a man whose body was discovered in city centre flats complex may have fallen down an internal rubbish disposal chute.

Detectives are now awaiting the outcome of a post-mortem examination to determine if the white adult male sustained his fatal injuries in an accidental fall or whether he was the victim of an assault whose body was then deliberately dropped down the chute in Cork.

Garda efforts to identify the man have been complicated by the fact he was found with no identification on him.

The complex has a total of 80 flats and there is a wide variety of nationalities resident there, meaning garda require interpreters in some cases.

The body was discovered shortly before 6pm last night by the City Garden flats complex on Bachelor's Quay, just metres from the Gate Cinema and less than 100 metres from the Bridewell garda station.

A local resident was horrified to discover the remains as they were cleaning drains and chutes by the building.



The body is understood to have been spotted underneath a chute and beside a large rubbish skip in an internal area where residents store their refuse pending collection.

The body was partially covered and no wounds were immediately visible.

Detectives sealed off the scene to allow for a full examination by technical experts.

The body was examined at the scene last night by assistant state pathologist Dr Margaret Bolster.

The body was then removed to Cork University Hospital (CUH) for a post-mortem, which began at 10am.

Senior gardai said they were treating the death as suspicious but the precise nature of their investigation will be determined by the post-mortem examination findings.

"At this point, we do not know the circumstances leading to the death of this unidentified male. But our inquiries are ongoing," a garda source said.

Gardai began questioning residents of the flats complex in a bid to identify the deceased and to determine if anyone heard or saw anything suspicious.

It is understood that the man died in the last 36 to 48 hours, though there were signs of deterioration to the body.