| -3.2°C Dublin

Man escapes jail term over brawl in pub





A man who was involved in a violent pub brawl during which a victim was punched, kicked and attacked with beer bottles, has been ordered to carry out community service in lieu of a prison sentence.

Anthony Harte (24), of Stephen's Road, Inchicore, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to violent disorder at Morrisey's Pub, Cork Street, Dublin, on January 7, 2013.

At a sentence hearing last July, Judge Mary Ellen Ring heard that both the victim, Christopher Conlon, and the manager of the pub refused to make formal complaints to gardai after the incident.

Judge Ring sentenced Harte to two years in prison but ordered that he carry out 220 hours' community service in lieu of that. She gave him a year to do the work.

Two other men have been charged with their alleged involvement in the brawl and are due before the court at a future date.

Garda Seamus O'Donovan told the prosecution that the three men were drinking in the pub at a social occasion following a funeral.

He said that CCTV shows one man allegedly approaching Mr Conlon and slapping him in the face.


He said a heated altercation followed involving slaps, punches and a bottle. He said Harte is shown punching the victim several times as well as kicking him.

The footage also shows him picking up a bottle and approaching the victim but it is unclear what happens next.

Gda O'Donovan said the pub's panic alarm was triggered and gardai arrived within minutes, but Harte had left already.

The garda said that Mr Conlon was un-cooperative with the garda investigation and that no assault complaints were made so there are no details of any injuries received.

Counsel added that Harte's three previous convictions are for minor offences and that he is not a man with a propensity for violence.

Harte also admitted handling three stolen motorbikes valued at €25,000, at South Dublin Fiat Dealership, Goatstown Road, Dundrum, on February 1, 2012.

Richard O'Reilly (29), of Windmill Road, Crumlin, also pleaded guilty to handling stolen goods during the same incident in February 2012.

O'Reilly, a father-of-one, who works as a bicycle courier, has no previous convictions.

Judge Ring ordered him to carry out 160 hours' community service in lieu of a two year prison term.