| 0°C Dublin

Man died slowly after taking head shop drugs

A MAN'S internal organs started dying after taking headshop drug mephedrone, an inquest has heard.

Anthony Leonard (41), from Willow Vale in Ballybrack, Co Dublin, died from multi-organ failure at St Vincent's Hospital on July 14 last year.

Dublin Coroner's Court heard that doctors were told he had taken five sachets of 'Silver Bubbles' - or mephedrone - when he presented at St Columcille's Hospital, Loughlinstown, on the day before his death.

He spent July 12 in the company of Donna Byrne. Her deposition was read into the record said they were in Dublin city centre and bought "three bags of Bubble" between them then took a taxi to a friend's house.

drugs

While there, Mr Leonard developed diarrhoea and spent a lot of time in the bathroom. She claimed the last time she saw him, he was in the back garden digging with his hands and kept talking about "finding someone's stack of drugs". She left at 9.30am.

The deposition of Mr Leonard's mother Marie Leonard-Smyth was also read into the record.

She told gardai he rang her from the Noggin Inn pub at around 3.46pm.

She brought him home and put him in the bath. She rang an ambulance.

His kidneys were failing. His condition continued to deteriorate until his death.

Dr Farrell returned a verdict of death by misadventure.

hnews@herald.ie


Privacy