| 3.6°C Dublin

Man critical after 25ft cliff plunge horror


Irish Coast Guard helicopter

Irish Coast Guard helicopter

Irish Coast Guard helicopter

A man is in a critical condition after being airlifted to hospital following a 25-foot cliff fall.

The man, who is aged in his 20s, fell while out with friends on the Bray-to-Greystones cliff walk yesterday afternoon.

And after one of the party called 999, a Coast Guard helicopter arrived at the scene to rescue the young man.

"He fell between the two tunnels there between Bray and Greystones at around 4pm," said a spokesman from the Dublin Coast Guard station.

"We had to get the Dart stopped and the power turned off during the rescue. It was a tricky enough operation," he added.It is understood that the man received injuries to his back and head during the fall.

He did not fall into the water but on to scree and rocks along the Wicklow coastline.

A unit from the volunteer-run Greystones coast guard also attended the scene.

"He was with a group of about 20 people but we are not sure whether they were walking or abseiling," explained the Dublin Coast Guard spokesman.

The man in his 20s arrived to Beaumont Hospital at around 6pm yesterday.


Meanwhile, another man had to be rescued from the Irish Sea, at Rosslare after he fell off the Oscar Wilde ferry, which sails between Wexford and France.

"He was aged between 25 and 30 and was treated for severe shock and hypothermia.

"The ferry called in a man-over-board. He was taken out of the water by one of their rescue boats and brought to Rosslare Lifeboat Station and then to Wexford General Hospital," said the Dublin Coast Guard spokesman.

Yesterday's cliff fall follows the 50-foot fall of 12-year-old Mateo Arteaga more than a week ago. The young boy thought he would be left paralysed after he fell off a cliff face in Shankill, Co Dublin, while playing.

"It only took about three seconds to fall and then I hit the bottom," he told the Herald.

"I was badly hurt. I actually thought I was going to be paralysed," he added.

Mateo, who broke two bones in his left leg, was conscious after his fall on to the beach below and had to shout out to a passing stranger for help.

He was airlifted to Tallaght hospital and later transferred to Crumlin's Children's Hospital.