The son of a man abducted by a gang of men has said that there was nothing going on in his life at the time that could have caused the criminals to visit.
Arcade manager Calin Cucura (31) is alleged to be one of four men who bundled Sean Cummins into the back of a car, took him to an unknown location, and threatened to cut off his fingers one by one until his family paid money over.
Cucura of Derrynane Square, Dublin and formerly of Blessington Rd. Tallaght, has pleaded not guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to falsely imprisoning and making a threat to kill Mr Cummins on January 12, 2010.
The alleged victim has previously given evidence that he was visiting the family newsagents in Coolock, Dublin, when the four men entered the shop and took him away in the back of a car. The men drove him to a container where one captor told him they were looking for money from his family.
Mr Cummins, who works as a full-time care assistant, said this man returned later and told him they were going to release him because his family were cooperating.
Mr Cummin's son Dean told Gareth Baker BL, prosecuting, that he believes his father was abducted because he was the first to go out and meet the gang when they entered the shop.
"The first person they put their hands on, they took. If it had of been me first, it probably would have been me," the witness said.
He said his father was determined to make sure family members in the shop at the time were protected from the gang.
"He made it his business to be the first person to approach them," he said.
In cross examination Padraic Dwyer SC, defending, asked the witness if there was "anything going on in your life that might have given rise to a visit from these people".
The witness said "absolutely not".
The trial is in legal argument and will resume in evidence today before Judge Patricia Ryan.