| 14°C Dublin

Man charged with armed raid after chase at harbour


The stand-off in the harbour

The stand-off in the harbour

The stand-off in the harbour

A man suspected of carrying out an armed raid on a shop in Skerries has been arrested and charged by gardai after a stand-off in Balbriggan harbour.

Footage has emerged showing the suspect being chased across the sand in the harbour while the tide was out on Sunday.

The manhunt began at around 4pm on Saturday when Glen Conroy, who is in his early 30s, is alleged to have entered Shankeys menswear shop on Strand Street in Skerries and threatened a woman with what was described as a gun.


He allegedly demanded cash and left with a small sum.

While the shop assistant was not physically harmed, she is believed to have been left very shaken by the ordeal and has not been able to return to work.

Gardai were immediately alerted and, because it was believed a gun was used in the robbery, members of the Armed Support Unit were sent to the scene.

Local sources said it was believed the raider may have gone into a local church to hide, and that armed gardai searched the church but failed to find him.

The search continued for the day, and then on Sunday there was a breakthrough when there were reports of a man acting suspiciously in Balbriggan harbour.

A number of gardai arrived and confronted the man, who they believe is the same person who carried out the armed raid the previous day.

The man jumped into the bay when the tide was out and several gardai surrounded the area and tried to talk him in to giving himself up.


The footage shows the man running across the sand and through a river in an effort to get to the other side of the harbour and escape.

However, several officers run across the harbour after him while colleagues on the pier also chase him down and arrest him.

The man is then seen being led away in handcuffs.

Gardai confirmed that the man was arrested in connection with the investigation into the robbery of the shop in Skerries.