| 16.7°C Dublin

Man badly burned in flat explosion

A man was taken to hospital with serious burns yesterday after an apparent gas explosion at a flat.

The incident happened shortly after 4pm at Pearse House in central Dublin.

He was taken to St James' Hospital for treatment along with a woman and a child who were suffering from shock.

A number of flats in the four-storey building were also evacuated.

Neighbour Alan Fitzsimons, who lives in a ground-floor flat, said he heard the bang on the top floor and rushed to help.

"I ran upstairs and the chap was actually being dragged out on to the landing by some of the neighbours from upstairs, he was in a bad way, badly burned," he said.

It is understood the man was the only person in the flat at the time of the explosion.

Mr Fitzsimons said the front door of the flat was blown out on to the landing. The explosion also shattered three windows.

Both gardai and Bord Gais are investigating the incident.

© Press Association