| 11°C Dublin

Man arrested over shooting linked to 'Fat' Freddie gang

A 29-year-old man arrested in relation to a gun attack on a notorious criminal is part of a dangerous drugs gang who are linked to 'Fat' Freddie Thompson's mob.

The man was released from garda custody yesterday after being arrested by detectives probing last week's shooting of Philip 'Philly' O'Toole in leafy Enniskerry, Co Wicklow.

Sources say that O' Toole was shot in the stomach because of "a localised drugs dispute" between gangs in Bray, Co Wicklow.

The mob that are suspected of being involved in the shooting have strong links to the 'Fat' Freddie organisation and two of its most senior members have been arrested in relation to the shocking double murder of Darren Geoghegan and Gavin Byrne at Firhouse in November 2005.

The Bray mob were also involved in a Crumlin/Drimnagh feud-related murder in 2009, which can't be disclosed here for legal reasons.

On that occasion, they worked hand-in-hand with senior members of the Thompson gang.

They are led by a major drugs baron who has been based in Spain's Costa-Del-Crime for the past three years and a feared thug who has served a lengthy jail sentence after he killed another man in a vicious pub brawl.

Sources say that O'Toole had previously been closely associated with this crew but is now involved with a rival drugs gang in Bray, Co Wicklow.

O'Toole is recovering after spending a number of days in St Vincent's Hospital where he was treated for his injuries.

O'Toole, from Fassaroe in Bray, Co Wicklow, is understood to have wrestled with the gunman before being shot in the stomach.

Local sources said he had just returned to Bray in recent months, having spent some time in England. He had received warnings in the past that his life was under threat.

O'Toole was arrested by gardai investigating the shooting of Finglas criminal Glen McGrath (41) outside the Cappagh House pub in Finglas last December.

McGrath -- a former associate of slain gangland boss Paul 'Farmer' Martin -- survived but was left in a critical condition after being shot three times in the chest and stomach.