| 11.6°C Dublin

Man arrested after criminal shot in the leg


 The incident happened on Donore Road. Photo: Collins

The incident happened on Donore Road. Photo: Collins

The incident happened on Donore Road. Photo: Collins

A CAREER criminal is recovering in hospital after being shot in the leg in Drogheda town.

It is believed that the injured man Philip 'Philly' Leonard (30) managed to make his way to a nearby shop on the Donore Road after the shooting last night, where he raised the alarm.

This morning a 27-year-old local man was arrested and brought to Drogheda Garda Station where he was being quizzed about the shooting.

It is understood that officers are not looking for anyone else in relation to last night's incident.

The emergency services were alerted to the shooting around 9.30pm after the man hobbled into a Spar store.

Gardai and the ambulance services arrived quickly on the scene to aid the victim.

He was shot in one leg in close proximity to the bus depot on the Donore Road. The weapon used is believed to have been a shotgun.

The victim was brought by ambulance to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda for treatment.

He was described today as being in a stable condition.

A senior source has revealed that Leonard, who has over 40 previous convictions, has not provided a statement about what happened to investigating gardai, but is co-operating.

"This man will survive," said a source.


"Throughout his life he has had a problem with drugs particularly in relation to owing money for drugs."

However, this is not the main theory that gardai are working on for last night's shooting and it is understood that one line in the investigation is whether Leonard was shot accidentally.

Sources say that the suspect in custody is known to Leonard.

Leonard's most serious recent court appearance happened in July, 2010, when he was jailed for nine months for the burglary of his local pharmacy in Drogheda.

In February, 2007, Leonard from Beechwood Drive, Marley's Lane, Drogheda, was jailed for four years at Trim Circuit Court after he admitted being part of a four-man gang who stole a safe containing thousands of euro worth of jewellery and cash.

The burglary happened at Crufty, Beamore on November 30, 2004.