| 15.8°C Dublin

Man (41) convicted of killing his cousin in 'gruesome' stab attack


Stephen Tynan was convicted of murder

Stephen Tynan was convicted of murder

Stephen Tynan was convicted of murder

A Dublin man was yesterday found guilty of murdering his cousin and dumping his body on a roadside.

Andrew Guerrine (37) was found with 20 stab wounds on Steelstown Lane in Rathcoole, 10km from where he was last seen in Tallaght, the Central Criminal Court was told.

Yesterday, his cousin, Stephen Tynan (41), of Deerpark Lodge, Kiltipper, Tallaght, and Raymond Fitzgerald (37), of Knockmore Grove, Killinarden, also Tallaght, were convicted of murdering Mr Guerrine at an unknown place between May 22 and May 23, 2015.



Murder victim Andrew Guerrine

Murder victim Andrew Guerrine

Murder victim Andrew Guerrine

The two accused men had denied murder.

Their trial heard Mr Guerrine's wounds included two that penetrated his skull and spine.

An associate of the deceased said that Mr Guerrine had arrived at Knockmore some time after 11.30pm on the night he went missing in order to sell diazepam tablets to an unnamed person.

A Knockmore man, Darren Finnegan, told the trial that Tynan and another man arrived at his door some time before midnight on May 22, wanting to buy his Peugeot car, which was for sale.

He said he eventually took some cash and threw the other man his keys, with Tynan telling him he'd get the rest the following day.

The car was found on fire in a Tallaght field by a salvage operator.

He returned with his truck and moved the Peugeot to his yard before taking it with other cars to be scrapped.

However, the engine had fallen out and he was able to pass this on to gardai when they arrived to speak to him.

The engine number matched that of the Peugeot that Mr Finnegan had sold to Tynan and his associate.

Through examination of CCTV footage, detectives traced the Peugeot's movements from shortly after its purchase.

Its defective lights made it easier to recognise travelling up and down Steelstown Lane about 45 minutes later.

It was daylight by 5.20am on May 23 when the two accused were captured pushing the vehicle into a petrol station on Fortunestown Road in Tallaght.

Fitzgerald could clearly be seen holding his sleeves down over his hands and wiping the car door.

His barrister conceded his action was shifty and guilty- looking.

Both killers had got new phones by the time they made their statements to gardai.

However, detectives secured the records for their old mobile phones.

These showed Tynan's phone had not operated from when Mr Guerrine was last seen alive.


Describing the killing as pre-planned, prosecutor Brendan Grehan said that although there was no DNA evidence, murder weapon or eyewitness testimony, the circumstantial evidence proved the guilt of the two men involved.

Tynan's barrister, Seamus Clarke SC, said his client was "hardly the typical candidate" for the "gruesome attack" on his own cousin, but might have stupidly got involved in the aftermath.

The jury found both men guilty by a majority of 10 to two.

Neither of the accused gave any reaction when the verdicts were read out, but a number of their supporters sobbed quietly.

The men will be sentenced on December 19.