| 15.5°C Dublin

Man (28) charged over blaze that left mum and kids with horror injuries


Gardai Technical Bureau at the scene in the fire’s aftermath

Gardai Technical Bureau at the scene in the fire’s aftermath

Gardai Technical Bureau at the scene in the fire’s aftermath

A man described as suffering from psychosis has been remanded in custody after he was charged over a fire at a Dublin apartment in which a mother and her three young children suffered horrific injuries.

Gardai launched an investigation after a blaze broke out and gutted a flat at Tyrone Place, Inchicore, Dublin, at 11pm on September 18, 2017.


Four occupants were treated in hospital following the fire. Maggie Green (30) was take to St James's Hospital; her sons Francie and John, aged eight and 12, were taken to Crumlin Children's Hospital; and her seven-year-old daughter Savannah was rushed to Temple Street Hospital for treatment.

Ian O'Connor (28), from Emmet Crescent, Inchicore, Dublin, was arrested yesterday morning and taken to Kilmainham Garda Station where he was charged with arson contrary to the Criminal Damage Act.

He was then taken before Dublin District Court.

Garda Colm Reynolds told Judge Grainne Malone that Mr O'Connor "made no reply to the charge after caution".

He had objections to bail and said it was expected that further charges would be brought.

Dressed in a tracksuit, Mr O'Connor spoke briefly during the hearing telling the judge he was in receipt of social welfare and to confirm he was applying for legal aid, which was granted.

He has not yet indicated how he will plead.

Judge Malone noted from defence solicitor William Cadogan that there was no bail application at this point but she said this did not preclude Mr O'Connor from applying for bail at a later stage.

Mr Cadogan told the court his client suffered from "a lot mental illnesses, he has had psychosis", as well as "a number of other issues".

The solicitor said the garda would agree his client "may need protection" in custody.

Judge Malone remanded him in custody to appear again next Friday at Cloverhill District Court for directions from the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) to be obtained in relation to his trial venue.


Gda Reynolds said he imagined the direction would be for trial on indictment, meaning the case could go to the Circuit Court.

He also said: "There may b e further charges."

Judge Malone directed that Mr O'Connor was to receive medical and psychiatric attention in custody.

A second man, in his 30s, who was also arrested yesterday, has been released from custody and a file will be submitted to the DPP.