| 14.8°C Dublin

Man (23) falls into bonfire on night of thousand calls for fire brigade

A YOUNG man is today being treated for burns after falling into a bonfire in North County Dublin.

The incident was part of a night of mayhem for emergency services with Dublin Fire Brigade, reporting that it received over 1,000 calls from members of the public.

And riot gardai were also called to the city centre as a bonfire raged out of control -- posing serious risks to public safety.

Officers were under intense pressure right throughout the night -- attending to hundreds of different incidents.

A 23-year-old man was recovering in hospital today after slipping into a bonfire in Donaghmede, North Co Dublin, shortly before 3am.

The man was taken to Beaumont hospital where he is being treated for superficial burns. His condition is not believed to be serious.

Separately, the fire brigade was forced to deploy officers to Killiney, where a derelict house was set on fire.

The incidents marked a night of chaos for emergency workers.

A spokesperson for Dublin Fire Brigade told the Herald that staff endured an "extremely busy night".

"We received over 1,000 calls on what was an extremely busy Halloween night. Although we take into account the celebrations on the night, public safety is our number one priority," he said.

"And, like always, some people feel they can step outside the box in terms of their activities."

Separately, riot gardai were called to the city centre last night as a bonfire raged out of control.

A car was burnt out on Foley Street in the north inner city at approximately 10pm.

A group of youths gathered around the vehicle, which is believed to have been stolen, and the riot squad were called at approximately 10pm.

A number of officers attended the scene to disperse the crowd.

There were no injuries reported and gardai say the city centre was relatively quiet.

Bonfires raged in suburbs across the city and county.

A number of planned events, organised by community groups in conjunction with local authorities, took place throughout Dublin yesterday evening. However, the night still remained one of Dublin Fire Brigade's busiest.