| 6.4°C Dublin

Lucky to be alive after bottle attack yards from home

THESE are the shocking injuries suffered by a young man in a savage, random attack on our streets.

Kieran Broderick (25) was just yards from his home when he was viciously assaulted by a man armed with a heavy object.

The young man feared for his life as he was knocked to the ground and beaten repeatedly.

As his assailtant hit him with what's believed to have been a bottle tied in a sling, two men in the company of the attack stood by watching the incident.

Kieran today tells how he pleaded with his attacker to stop but received several blows before he managed to flee.

It's understood that one line of inquiry is that the trio had travelled from Dublin.

Speaking to the Herald today, Kieran said he is "hopeful" the men will be caught.

"It was a scary enough incident and the injuries were brutal. But I'm going to the doctor again this week and I'm on the mend," he said.

"I was just minding my own business on my way home having returned from Dublin City. I was close to my home when I saw three black men walking towards me. When I was walking past them I felt a severe blow to my head and it knocked me to the ground," he added.


A passerby who saw Kieran's injuries immediately alerted the emergency services.

Kieran says he is hopeful that CCTV footage from a nearby supermarket will help gardai capture the culprits.

"This was a completely unprovoked attack. I didn't even say a word to them. I tried to put my hands up to defend myself, but he kept hitting me. I can't thank the girl who found me enough.

"She helped me stand up and ensured I got medical attention. I understand the local Tesco has CCTV footage of the incident, so hopefully that can pinpoint those responsible."

Gardai believe a second 19-year-old man was also attacked by the same group on the night in question. It is understood that the individual had his mobile phone stolen.

Anyone with information in relation to either incidents is asked to contact gardai in Celbridge on 01-6288222.

Kieran's ordeal comes following a spate of violent and unprovoked attacks in the Leinster area.

Father-of-three Deepak Abbi died after being subject to a brutal attack that involved being punched, kicked and a wheelie bin being thrown at him.

Witnesses said the popular architect was assaulted by up to three teenage youths close to his premises in Drogheda, Co Louth.

Gardai were today their investigations and are appealing for witnesses.

Meanwhile, gardai have launched a major investigation after three boys were savagely attacked by a gang of up to 15 thugs armed with iron bars, bats, golf clubs and hurleys in a south Dublin park. No arrests have yet been made into the incident which happened at Waterstown Park in Palmerstown at around 6.30pm on Monday.

It's understood that the three boys -- aged 13 and 14 -- were sitting in the park with two teenage girls when they were set upon.

Gardai still do not know why the gang -- made up of youths aged between 16 and 20 -- targeted their much younger victims, but what unfolded is being described as "an incredibly serious assault".

The incidents follow a spate of similar unprovoked attacks in the capital.

Gardai are concerned at the random nature of the violence on our streets.

Writing recently for the Herald, Justice Minister Alan Shatter vowed a major crackdown on street violence.



Most Watched