| 13.4°C Dublin

Lucky escape as nine saved from burning building

Close

Paul O'Mahony who helped rescue people from a fire at apartments in Thomas Court in Dublin. Picture:Arthur Carron/Collins

Paul O'Mahony who helped rescue people from a fire at apartments in Thomas Court in Dublin. Picture:Arthur Carron/Collins

Paul O'Mahony who helped rescue people from a fire at apartments in Thomas Court in Dublin. Picture:Arthur Carron/Collins

FIVE children and four adults were rescued from a fierce fire that completely gutted a Dublin building.

One woman had to escape from the intense inferno at the Thomas Court flats by climbing along an electrical line and jumping into the arms of waiting neighbours.

Fire officers said the occupants had a lucky escape. All nine lives were saved by firemen and alert neighbours.

The three-storey building was completely destroyed and it is believed a faulty fuseboard caused the blaze.

The fire broke out at 3am on Sunday morning.

Three young Malaysian boys aged seven, three and two were rescued alongside their parents by Dublin City firefighters who cut through security bars on their windows.

An adult and two children were living on the top floor of the house and a ladder was used to reach the family.

Another woman jumped to safety as quick-thinking neighbours gathered to save her. She had climbed out a window on the first floor onto electrical wires to escape the smoke and flames.

Neighbour Paul O'Mahony was at the scene.

"When we looked up to the window of the house there was a lady standing on the ledge and she was actually standing on the electrical wire."

"So we all got together and shouted at her to jump, so we all caught her there together," Mr O'Mahony said.

Five ambulances and five units of Dublin Fire Brigade were at the scene.

 

HATCHET

Firemen had to break down the main door of the house with a hatchet and cut through security bars on windows of the ground floor in order to rescue the tenants who were then brought to St James's Hospital and Tallaght Hospital.

David Kavanagh, District Officer of Dublin Fire Brigade, said the families had a "very, very, very lucky escape".

"I suppose it's someone calling the fire brigade immediately and us getting here so quick. You can see from the ground floor there they've security bars on the window which we'd to cut to take people out through," Mr Kavanagh said.

The house which dates back to the 1800s is split into three two-bedroom apartments.

Paddy Heron from the Anglican Church said the parish wants to help the families caught up in the blaze with food and clothes as their homes are now boarded up.

The four adults and five children abandoned all of their belongings.

The landlord arrived at 3pm yesterday to inspect the property and board it up.

hnews@herald.ie


Privacy