| 17.2°C Dublin

Lohan's dad leaps off balcony fleeing from police

THE estranged father of actress Lindsay Lohan was held in hospital overnight for observation, hours after his second domestic violence-related arrest this week.

Michael Lohan was brought to Tampa General Hospital, Florida, for observation following a jump from a third-floor balcony in an attempt to escape from authorities early yesterday.

Lohan "apparently leaped up from his balcony and grabbed hold of the roof (about 30ft) until he thought he was hanging over the top of the next balcony," according to a police report.

The report said Lohan let go but missed the balcony, then came "crashing down on top of wooden high chairs that were laying on the ground."

After a short chase, officers arrested Lohan in his second encounter with Florida police this week. On Tuesday, Lohan (51) was arrested on domestic violence charges involving Kate Major, his 28-year-old girlfriend who is also a former reporter for the Star tabloid.

Police say he grabbed Major and pushed her down multiple times at her Tampa apartment during a daylong argument.

A Tampa judge released Lohan on $5,000 bail on Wednesday and told Lohan that he should not have any contact with Major, who had filed a restraining order against Lohan.

When Lohan was released from jail on Wednesday evening, he held an impromptu news conference in the jail car park. There, Lohan said the charges were Major's way of making money by selling her story to media outlets. According to a police report, Lohan called Major on Wednesday night, seeking to work things out.

"You're harassing me again," Major told Lohan before hanging up to call police.

Police were listening to messages left by Lohan on Major's answering machine when Lohan called again.

The officers whispered to Major to hang up and to tell Lohan not to call again, which she did. Lohan called again, but Major did not pick up.

After the balcony fall and the foot pursuit, officers arrested Lohan and took him to jail.

It was suspected he may have broken his foot, so he was then taken to hospital.

Authorities said he would be returned to the jail once he had been cleared by doctors.