| 1.2°C Dublin

Lillis was ordered to stop watching masseuse lover

WIFE-killer Eamonn Lillis' lover called gardai because he was lurking outside her home and workplace.

Jean Treacy spotted Lillis in his car near her home in North Dublin on a number of occasions.

Ms Treacy avoided confronting Lillis and instead called gardai.

A judge subsequently warned Lillis to stay away from his lover in the months following Celine Cawley's death.

As first reported by the Herald last June, the original terms of Lillis' bail were altered so that he was forbidden from going near his mistress.

The 52-year-old spent last night in Wheatfield Prison where he will serve out his six-year and 11 month sentence for the manslaughter on his wife.

However, details are continuing to emerge about his bizarre behaviour which did not reflect the image of the grieving husband which he presented in court before sentencing.

The Central Criminal Court heard from Lillis's barrister that Celine was “his partner in every sense of the word” and that despite killing her, he would love the mother of his child for the rest of his life.

But within weeks of her death, gardai had to intervene to ensure that he was not stalk ing his lover Jean Treacy (32).

It has emerged the masseuse rang gardai after seeing Lillis near her north county Dublin home and at her workplace weeks after he killed his wife.

It is understood that he showed up at both locations on a number of occasions but that Ms Treacy avoided him.

During her trial evidence Ms Treacy admitted to being infatuated with Lillis at one stage, but became a key witness for the prosecution.

Last May, she severed all connection with her former lover after he had sent her a three page letter and a Tiffany diamond pendant necklace.

The package was wrapped in paper with the words of pop star Beyonce's hit song Halo. She took it straight to gardai.

In June, Mr Justice Paul Carney in the Central Criminal Court told Lillis to have no contact with Ms Treacy before his trial.

The film producer was told that the order would be part of his bail conditions. He was told he must not make contact with her.

His trial heard Ms Treacy had been the killer's masseuse for two years before a relationship developed.

She ended the eight week affair the day after Ms Cawley was killed outside her Howth home in 2008.

Gardai provided protection for Ms Treacy from the media during the trial. She was given an escort and used an underground entrance.

The move ensured Ms Treacy could not be photographed as she entered or left the courts complex and resulted in complaints from the media.

Garda Commissioner Fachtna Murphy has pledged to make a public comment on the issue.