| 10.4°C Dublin

Landmark railway building on track for transformation

A landmark protected structure, the old railway building at Dundrum Luas stop, has been signalled for a new lease of life.

The Railway Procurement Agency (RPA) has carried out extensive conservation works on the building, which was almost completely gutted by fire over a year ago.

The building is located right beside the Dundrum Luas stop and was once a central point of the old railway system when it was in operation.

The RPA has now applied for permission to transform the building into a cafe and shop. And if planning permission is approved, the new facility will be in situ within a number of months.

At the height of the building boom, the site, as well as the air space above the tracks, went on the market to private developers, but was not sold.

The site for sale was expected to bring in €15m to Dun Laoghaire Rathdown CoCo and the RPA and it was thought that a potential developer could build a multi-storey development of offices and restaurants beside and directly over the Luas line.

The RPA pulled back from that proposed project and has plans to lease out the building to a retailer and cafe.

If planning permission is approved, work will commence to fully fit out the new retail space.

The building was the original station house at the Dundrum stop on the Dublin and South Eastern Railway, built in 1859 by William Dargan.

After the line closed in 1958, the building was used by Carr Communications and then by the RPA while the Green Line Luas was under construction.

claire.murphy@herald.ie


Privacy