| 10.2°C Dublin

Landmark charge over pal's killing

A man jailed for shooting his pal in the head has now been charged with his murder -- in a landmark legal case.

Ian Kenny spent two years in hospital in a coma, being fed through a tube, after the horror shooting at a shopping centre in July 2007.

In 2008 Jonathan Dunne (25) was jailed for 12 years for attempting to murder Mr Kenny of Monasterboice Road in Crumlin, West Dublin, who was 21 at the time.

When the father of two died last August -- after spending two years in a coma -- Jonathan Dunne could not be retried for his murder under existing laws.

The law has since been changed and a file returned to the DPP making Dunne one of the first people ever to be charged with murder after he had already been convicted of a lesser crime in the same incident.

Under the previous law a person could not be charged with murder if their victim died more than one year and a day after the initial attack.

Dunne, from Windmill Road in Crumlin, was taken from prison and charged at Dublin District Court with Mr Kenny's murder. The case was sent forward for trial and he is due to appear at the Central Criminal Court next Monday.

At his original trial court court heard that Dunne shot his pal in the head and shoulder with a double-barrelled, sawn-off shotgun as a favour to a drug dealer after he lost €50,000 worth of drugs when he was 16.

Mr Kenny was sitting in the front passenger seat of his friend's car outside shops at Lakelands Road, Stillorgan, when he was shot.

Dunne told gardai he first shot his friend in the shoulder but when he didn't run away, "I had no choice but to do it again".

He then threw the injured man from the car and drove off. Dunne said he carried out the hit as he feared for his own life at the hands of the drug dealer.


"If I didn't, I was going to get a bullet in the head and my family as well. I didn't want to do it but I had to do it. I had no choice as my life was in danger and my family".

Dunne pleaded guilty to the attempted murder of Ian Kenny. Judge Paul Carney said he had considered sentencing Dunne to life but decided not to after taking into account his age, background and early guilty plea.