| 18.1°C Dublin

Key member of burglary gang survived an assassination attempt this year

A 21-year-old criminal who is a key member of the notorious gang which was involved in the horrific aggravated burglary, survived an assassination attempt this year.

The Herald has also learnt that some of the seven-man gang have outstanding charges against them after being released on bail by the courts in recent months for other offences.

The "vicious criminal" and his father were shot at a number of times outside their Coolock home in an incident last April.

Since the shots were fired at him and his dad, the young criminal who has multiple previous convictions, "rarely leaves home without wearing a bullet-proof vest" according to senior sources.

Neither he nor his father were injured in the incident and gardai have never been able to establish a motive in relation to the shooting, which no-one has been arrested for.

The north Dublin gang who remained in custody at various garda stations across Tipperary last night have been linked to at least a dozen other aggravated burglaries this year.

They have been one of the main targets for Operation Fiacla which is led by Assistant Commissioner Derek Byrne and focuses on burglaries.

So far this year, more than 7,000 people have been arrested as part of the operation and over 4,000 charged before the courts.

However, the arrested crew who come from the Priorswood, Belcamp and Darndale areas of the capital are not considered the most prolific operating in the country.


Gardai say that a dangerous crew from the Tallaght area have been involved in far more incidents similar to yesterday's false imprisonment of the Corcoran family in Killenaule, Co Tipperary.

The suspects in custody include brothers and cousins and some are members of the Traveller community, but others are not.

They are all extremely well known to gardai and are aged between 17 and 29.

Some of the arrested men have links to slain Traveller brothers John Paul and Tommy Joyce.

Five of the suspects were arrested near Naas in Co Kildare. Two others were detained at Newland's Cross in Dublin, following a high-speed chase in rush-hour traffic. Several units from the garda's armed intervention unit chased them from Tipperary.

They were assisted by the garda helicopter and specialised units.