| 14°C Dublin

Keegan says gardai are alert to teen gang culture

A MAJOR garda operation targeting anti-social behaviour is ongoing in the Temple Bar area of the capital.

Dublin City Manager Owen Keegan confirmed to Dublin City Council that gardai are monitoring the area after it emerged that cafe owner Stephen Maguire in Fownes Street was attacked by a group of 25 youths – both male and female.

The incident was caught on CCTV from the cafe and is the subject of an investigation by officers based at Pearse Street Garda Station. No arrests have yet been made.


The savage assault has been highlighted by Independent councillor Mannix Flynn who has asked the city manager to issue a full report to deal with the problem of gang culture in the Temple Bar area.

Mr Flynn told the Herald that the issue of gangs of youths involved in violent and anti-social behaviour is becoming an "ever increasing problem" and has called for more garda resources to be deployed to tackle the problem.

Mr Keegan told a meeting of the city council last week that "the gardai have implemented intensive operations on both sides of the Liffey in recent months which were focused on drug activities".

"There certainly are problems, but are now in place strong and coordinated structures giving a renewed multi agency approach," he added.

"The Garda Siochana continue as always to respond to all criminal activity and they are constantly monitoring levels of crime in the city."


The attack on the cafe owner happened just days before a 30-year-old Brazilian man was kicked in the head and knocked unconscious in an unprovoked daylight street attack in Temple Bar on St Patrick's Day.

A film of the assault was later circulated on Facebook and Twitter and went viral.

Two boys aged 16 and 17 were arrested by gardai investigating that incident, but were later released without charge.

It has emerged that the assault happened when a female who had been with the two male teenagers took the victim's hat.

When he tried to get his hat back, he was attacked by her two pals.

Paramedics were called and the unconscious victim was taken to St James's Hospital.