| 11.3°C Dublin

Jolanta's killer may have been after her money

GARDAI investigating the double murder of Jolanta Lubiene and her eight-year-old daughter Enrika believe that robbery could have been the motive.

It is understood that Jolanta might have been targeted for valuables and cash she kept in the house.

In the weeks before the double murder the 27-year-old mum had been selling items online in a bid to secure enough money to travel back to her native Lithuania with her young daughter.

Jolanta's father is seriously ill and she wished to make a permanent return home, where she planned to reunite with her husband Lubys.

Meanwhile, detectives last night were continuing to question a man over the double murder, which took place almost two weeks ago.



The 26-year-old Lithuanian national was arrested at a rented house in Killorglin, Co Kerry, yesterday and brought to Killarney Garda Station for questioning.

Gardai sealed off the house where a technical examination was conducted. The house is less than 1km from the house at Langford Downs where the bodies of Jolanta and little Enrika were discovered on June 16.

Post-mortem examinations revealed Ms Lubiene had suffered multiple stab wounds while her daughter had been stabbed in the neck.

Enrika's body was discovered on the upstairs landing while her mother was found in a pool of blood in the kitchen.

It is understood Ms Lubiene knew her killer but was not related to him. There was no sign of forced entry at the house.

A 40-year-old man was arrested on Sunday morning on suspicion of withholding information.

He was subsequently released without charge on Monday night and a file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Forensic examiners also returned to the house in Langford Downs.

Neighbours of the arrested 26-year-old were woken by "loud banging" after 5am on Thursday morning.

The well-maintained estate is one of the most sought-after addresses in the town and was built about seven years ago.

John Langham, who lives directly opposite the house where the arrests were made, and whose son made his First Communion with Enrika Lubyte in May, said he had been woken by the commotion shortly after 5am.

"I could hear all this banging when they were trying to get the door open and they were shouting 'open the door'," Mr Langham said.

He said there were at least eight garda vehicles at the scene.

"By 5.15am it was all going off. It's the second time they were up here this week. Gardai were also at the house on Monday."



Mr Langham said he then saw the gardai bring a man out of the house but his head was covered.

Other neighbours spoke of their shock and disbelief at the drama on the quiet estate.

Meanwhile, south Kerry coroner Terence Casey confirmed he had formally released the remains of Ms Lubiene and her daughter yesterday – but funeral arrangements have yet to be finalised.

The bodies are to be repatriated to Lithuania for burial and a massive fundraising effort has been under way through the local St Vincent de Paul Society to help the family meet the costs.