| 8.8°C Dublin

Jolanta accused 'made no secret that they had sex'


Aurimas Andruska

Aurimas Andruska

Jolanta and daughter Enrika (8)

Jolanta and daughter Enrika (8)


Aurimas Andruska

THE Lithuanian man accused of murdering a mother and her young daughter made "no secret" that he had sexual relations with the woman, a court has heard.

A colleague of Aurimas Andruska (27) said the accused attended a birthday party for him at his home on the evening of the same day the woman and child were last seen alive.

Mr Andruska arrived at Aurimas Mockus' house in Baile an Toreen, Killorglin, with another man at 6pm on Saturday, June 15, 2013.


Earlier that day, he had driven to Kilcummin near Killarney in Mr Mockus' car to return a Ford Transit van to their boss, Ger Murphy, and came back to Killorglin at around noon.

Both men worked in forestry, and Mr Mockus had got the job for his friend, who had returned to Ireland in February.

The bodies of Jolanta Lubiene (27) and her daughter Enrika Lubyte (8) were discovered inside their home at No 9 Langford Downs, Killorglin, on Sunday night, July 16.

Mr Andruska, of Ardmoniel Heights, Killorglin, denies the double murder on a date unknown between July 15 and 17 last year.

Under cross-examination at the Circuit Criminal Court in Tralee by Brendan Grehan (SC), defending, Mr Mockus said he had been on "friendly terms" with Ms Lubiene and had attended parties at her house.

He said he had heard about Ms Lubiene's use of dating websites from other friends and had checked out her profile and preferences.

He admitted telling gardai there were a lot of men calling to the house and giving officers the names of a number of these.

Mr Mockus said it was he who had told Mr Andruska that if he called to Ms Lubiene's house with a bottle of alcohol he could collect dvds.

He also said Mr Andruska had not made any secret of the fact he had sexual relations with Ms Lubiene a couple of days later.

The trial also heard details of Ms Lubiene's mobile phone usage from May 17 to June 16, 2013 and specifically on June 15, the day she was last seen alive.

Brendan Power, a civilian crime and policing analyst with An Garda Siochana, said in that period there was a varying number of outgoing calls and texts from Ms Lubiene's number, peaking at 133 on May 20.

There were 18 outgoing texts and calls on June 15, with the last one, a text message, sent at 1.44pm on Saturday afternoon.

The last call received on Enrika's phone was from her mother, at 13.32pm that afternoon when she had finished work.

The trial continues.