| 13.8°C Dublin

Jacko's doctor shouted to 'get children away'

MICHAEL JACKSON'S bodyguard has testified that as the star's lifeless body lay on a bed in his palatial mansion, his frantic doctor ordered him to bag up medicine bottles and intravenous bags and shield the Jackson children from seeing their father -- all before being told to call emergency services.

Alberto Alvarez said he was the first security guard to reach Jackson's room after word came that something was wrong. He described a shocking scene.

The King of Pop was on his bed connected to an intravenous tube and a urinary catheter. His eyes and mouth were open, and Dr Conrad Murray was leaning over him doing one-handed chest compressions to try to revive him.

Mr Alvarez said he was "frozen" at the sight. "I said, 'Dr Murray, what happened?' And he said, 'He had a reaction. He had a bad reaction'," Mr Alvarez recalled. The testimony came during a preliminary hearing to determine if Dr Murray will be tried on a charge of involuntary manslaughter.


Authorities contend Dr Murray gave Jackson a lethal dose of the powerful anaesthetic propofol and other sedatives in the bedroom of his rented mansion before he died on June 25, 2009.

Deputy District Attorney David Walgren said in his opening statement that Jackson was already dead when Dr Murray summoned help and tried to conceal his administering of propofol to the star, ordering the bodyguard to collect items before paramedics were called.

Jackson was taken to hospital but further efforts to revive Jackson failed and he was declared dead at 2.27 p.m.

Mr Alvarez recalled Jackson's children Paris and Prince walking into the room during the effort to revive their father.

"Paris screamed, 'Daddy!' and she started to cry. Dr Murray said, 'Get them out. Don't let them see him like this'," the bodyguard said.

Mr Alvarez's voice choked and he took a moment to compose himself. "I said, 'children, don't worry, we'll take care of this.' And I escorted them out and left the door ajar," Mr Alvarez said.

Dr Murray has pleaded not guilty.