| 16.4°C Dublin

Israeli bombs hit Gaza as
plans to extend truce fail

Israel launched air strikes across the Gaza Strip today in response to Palestinian rockets fired after Egyptian-mediated talks failed to extend a 72-hour truce in the month-long war.

As rocket-warning sirens sounded in southern Israel, the military said Hamas had fired at least 18 rockets from Gaza and Israel's Iron Dome interceptor system brought down two. No injuries or damage were reported. Gaza militants said they had fired 10 rockets.

After a huge explosion in Gaza City, apparently from an air raid, a military spokesman said Israel had responded to Hamas rocket fire by launching air strikes at "terror sites" across the Gaza Strip.

"We will continue to strike Hamas, its infrastructure, its operatives, and restore security for the State of Israel," Lieutenant-Colonel Peter Lerner said.

militants

Heavy civilian casualties and destruction during Israel's campaign against militants in packed residential areas of the Gaza Strip have raised international alarm over the past month, but efforts to extend a ceasefire at talks in Cairo failed.

Israel had earlier said it was ready to agree to an extension as Egyptian go-betweens pursued negotiations with Israeli and Palestinian delegates.

A Hamas spokesman said Palestinian factions had not agreed to extend the truce, but would continue negotiations in Cairo.

Islamic Jihad blamed Israel for rejecting Palestinian demands, adding Israel "will not get through politics what it had failed to get on the battlefield".

The Palestinians had wanted Israel to agree in principle to demands which include a lifting of the blockade on the Gaza Strip, the release of prisoners and the opening of a sea port.

The armed wing of Hamas released a statement yesterday warning Palestinian negotiators not to agree to an extension unless Israel offered concessions.

Israel has shown little interest in easing its naval blockade of Gaza and controls on overland traffic and airspace, suspecting Hamas could restock with weapons from abroad.

Israel's Strategic Affairs Minister Yuval Steinitz, speaking on Army Radio, raised the prospect of Israel relaunching a ground operation it halted on Tuesday and "taking control of the Gaza Strip in order to topple the Hamas regime".

Hoever, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has shown little inclination that he would do so.

In Gaza, some families who had returned to their homes in the town of Beit Hanoun during the ceasefire gathered their belongings and headed back to the UN shelters where they had sought refuge over the past few weeks.

Beit Hanoun resident Yamen Mahmoud, a 35-year-old father of four, said: "Today I am fleeing again, back to displacement. I am not against resistance but we need to know 
what to do. Is it war or peace?"

Gaza officials say the war has killed 1,875 Palestinians, most of them civilians.

Hamas said on Thursday it had executed an unspecified number of Palestinians as Israeli spies. Israel says 64 of its soldiers and three civilians have died in the fighting that began on July 8, after a 
surge in Palestinian rocket salvoes into Israel.

hnews@herald.ie


Privacy