| 11.6°C Dublin

Irish striker Keogh arrested in Australia

IRISH soccer striker Andy Keogh has been arrested by police in Australia following an incident outside a nightclub.

Keogh (28) joined Perth Glory last year. He was arrested along with a teammate for disorderly conduct in Adelaide on Sunday morning.

Police received reports of two men acting in a disorderly manner outside a Currie Street nightclub in the south Australian city.

Perth Now is reporting that Keogh was initially issued with a fine for disorderly behaviour near the licensed premises.

He was arrested a short time later after allegedly continuing to cause a disturbance. Teammate Josh Ridson was also arrested for failing to comply with police directions and leave the area.

Both players are due to appear in Adelaide Magistrates Court on March 19 next.

Keogh also faces disciplinary action from the club he joined last year on a two-year contract. He played in a 1-1 draw against Adelaide on Saturday which put Perth back at the top of the A-league.


In a statement, Perth Glory FC said it could confirm it is investigating an incident involving two of its players in Adelaide.

Club Chief Executive Jason Brewer said the players, Keogh and Risdon, will be served with the appropriate disciplinary action by Perth Glory under the Football Federation Australia Code of Conduct once its investigation is completed.

"We do not condone any kind of behaviour which breaches the club's protocol and the National Code of Conduct. The players have apologised to the playing group and in due course will be making an apology to our fan base for their indiscretion," Mr Brewer said.

"The players admit the situation has embarrassed them, their teammates and our fans and they are accepting full responsibility for their poor behaviour" he added.

No further comment from the club was forthcoming at this stage.

Dubliner Keogh moved to England as a 16-year-old and had spells with Leeds United, Scunthorpe United, Wolves and Millwall. First capped by Steve Staunton in 2007, he won the majority of his 30 senior caps under Giovanni Trapattoni and scored the first goal of Trapattoni's reign as Ireland boss, at home to Serbia in 2008.