| 5.3°C Dublin

Inquest to open on cliff death of pregnant mum

THE death of a young mother pregnant with twins earlier this year is to be the subject of an inquest which opens on Monday.

Anna Byrne (35), a nurse and mother-of-two, was 38 weeks pregnant when she was reported missing.

A frantic search was launched and her body was found on rocks at the foot of the cliffs in Howth on March 8.

A Coroner's Court will be asked on Monday to establish "how, when and where" she died.

It is not the function of a coroner's court to apportion blame.


A number of reports have been filed for the coroner and details of the young mother's medical history may emerge at the hearing.

It is understood that evidence of identification will be given by a relative.

Further evidence will be given by her husband, as well as by a garda and a representative of the the coastguard service who were at the scene when the body was recovered.

A spokesperson for the Rotunda Hospital, which Anna was attending, said that hospital policy was "not to comment on individual cases".

The hospital also declined to say if it would be legally represented.

The search for Anna got under way on March 7 when she failed to collect one of her two sons from a creche.

Her younger brother, Ciaran, initiated a search party for her in Dun Laoghaire after a call from her mobile phone.

Despite her condition and being an L driver, she had driven to Dublin from her home in Dunboyne.

Howth was an area she knew well -- being originally from Sutton -- and her car was located late that night in the Summit car park. At first light, a search focused on the area, with a rescue helicopter dispatched to scour the coastline.

Howth lifeboat crew was also called in and the body was finally was spotted.

The gruesome early- morning discovery of the mother and her unborn twins led to an outpouring of grief and sympathy in the community generally.

Her husband, Terry Byrne is said to be "absolutely devastated" by the death of his wife and their unborn twins, as are her parents, John and Anna Deeney, and her two brothers and a sister.

Her father had just taken up the public service retirement package when the tragedy happened.

The 35-year-old mother of two -- whose sons Joe and Aiden were aged six and four at the time -- was described at her funeral as "beautiful, gentle Anna" as hundreds packed the Church of the Resurrection, in Bayside, Sutton.