| 11°C Dublin

Innocent banker shot at his home leaves hospital

A BANKER who was shot three times when he answered a call at his front door will be discharged from hospital today as a major garda investigation into the shooting continues.

Detectives have not yet established why Bank of Ireland employee Keith Deegan (32) was shot at his home in Corbally Green, Tallaght, late on Tuesday night.

He was hit in the thigh and foot when the gunman opened fire five times. Mr Deegan had opened the door following persistent banging by the gunman to his home.

The frantic gunman -- who covered his face with a scarf -- banged on the door and opened fire with an automatic 9mm handgun before the door was fully open.

Two of the bullets hit the door and Mr Deegan was struck three times. One of the bullets that missed the victim and hit the door was chest high and could have easily killed him.


Mr Deegan collapsed to the ground as the attacker made off on foot.

The highly respected bank worker was on the ground at the stairway of his home -- covered in blood when ambulance personnel arrived at his home.

Gardai believe the gunman was collected by an accomplice nearby in a Volvo, with a registration 05 D plate. This had been stolen in the Sandymount area of south Dublin two days previously. The getaway car was found burnt out at Carrigmore Green estate in Saggart, shortly after the shooting.

Mr Deegan -- who works in a main centre rather than a branch of Bank of Ireland -- has been off work on sick leave for around six months.

He was at home with his partner Lynette Maloney and their eight-year-old son when the gunman struck shortly after 10.30pm.

Nobody else was hurt in the shooting and it is understood that the child was asleep in an upstairs room when the shooting happened.

It is understood that Mr Deegan and Ms Maloney will move out of their home after the terrifying incident. Yesterday, his brother spent a short while at the house removing clothes and possessions in black bags.

He told reporters: "The family are in shock and we are not used to dealing with something like this. We don't have a clue why this happened."