| 11.6°C Dublin

'I wouldn't come out of my cell, I was just terrified', says nanny


Aisling Brady McCarthy

Aisling Brady McCarthy

Aisling Brady McCarthy

Irish nanny Aisling Brady McCarthy - who was cleared of murder charges in Boston - has settled into a quiet life in Cork, but has found it difficult to find a job.

Ms McCarthy was charged with the murder of one-year-old Rehma Sabir in January 2013.

She spent 27 months in a US prison before eventually having all charges against her dropped.

In an interview with the Boston Globe newspaper, Ms McCarthy revealed she is planning on taking court action over the case.

She also wants the prosecutors - who a judge found withheld exculpatory evidence - brought to account.

"They weren't just wrong in my case, they were reckless," Ms McCarthy told the newspaper.

"They never lost a minute's sleep. They just moved on to the next case. I want to expose this because I don't want it to happen to anyone else.

"If I don't let go, it will consume me," she added.

"I don't want people to feel sorry for me. I want to move on."

The former nanny is now living in her husband's native Ballincollig, Co Cork, where he is working as a painter.


Ms McCarthy said that she had "no choice" but to move on from her own native Carlow after the media frenzy around her case and her return.

"I have changed. I don't trust people like I used to. You're nearly afraid to get to know people because they'll say, 'Oh, you're the girl from Boston'. It makes me want to cut my hair off and dye it black," she said.

She has been unable to find work since she was released from prison following the high-profile collapse of the case against her.

"I was a nanny. I'm not going to do that again," she said. "Who's going to want to hire a 37-year-old who's been out of the country for 15 years?"

The former nanny said that being labelled a 'baby killer' was particularly dangerous in the Boston prison.

"I was terrified," she said. "I wouldn't come out of my cell."

She says the cards and letters of support she received from all around the world kept her going.

"When I was in prison, I had a loving family that came to see me. I called my husband twice a day. Some of the girls had nobody."

Her lawyer, Mindy Thompson, came to visit the family this Christmas in Carlow. All ten siblings were present for the first time in 15 years.