| 16.7°C Dublin

'I shot teens as they begged for their lives'- killer Breivik tells court

In testimony too graphic for any parent to hear, Norwegian far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik shocked an Oslo courtroom as he calmly described hunting down teenagers on an island summer camp.

As his words rolled out, survivors and victims' relatives of the July 22 massacre hugged and sobbed, trying to comfort each other.

That testimony was also broadcast to 17 other courtrooms in Norway where others affected by the attacks were gathered, but was not carried live on Norwegian television.

The 33-year-old Norwegian left out no detail from his rampage, explaining how he shot panicked youths at point-blank range. Sixty-nine people, mostly teenagers, were killed on Utoya island and others only survived by diving into chilly waters to escape.


Breivik said he did not anticipate his victims' reactions.

"Some of them are completely paralysed. They cannot run. They stand totally still. This is something they never show on TV," Breivik said. "It was very strange."

Breivik has admitted to setting off a bomb on July 22 in Oslo, killing eight people, before opening fire to the governing Labour Party's annual youth camp on Utoya island. But he has pleaded not guilty to criminal charges, saying his victims had betrayed Norway by embracing immigration.

The main goal of the trial, now in its fifth day, is to figure out whether Breivik was sane or insane -- two official reports have come to opposite conclusions on that point.

Looking tense but focused, Breivik spoke calmly about the shooting rampage, beginning with the moment he took a small ferry to Utoya, an island in a lake outside Oslo. He was disguised as a policeman, carrying a rifle and a handgun. He also brought drinking water because he knew he would get a dry throat from the stress of killing people.

Breivik's first two victims were Monica Boesei, a camp organiser, and off-duty police officer Trond Berntsen, a security guard.

"My whole body tried to revolt when I took the weapon in my hand. There were 100 voices in my head saying, 'don't do it, don't do it'," Breivik said.

But he did. He said he pointed his gun at Berntsen's head and pulled the trigger. He shot Boesei as she tried to run away. Then as they lay on the ground, he shot them both twice in the head. The first shot was "extremely difficult," he declared, saying he then entered a "fight-and-flight modus" that made it easier to continue the killing spree.

Breivik said he couldn't remember large chunks of the approximately 90 minutes he spent on the island before surrendering to police commandos. Still, he recalled some of the shootings in great detail, including inside a cafe where he mowed down young victims as they pleaded for their lives.


Some teenagers were frozen in panic, unable to move even when Breivik ran out of ammunition. He changed clips. They didn't move. He shot them in the head. Others pretended to be dead. He said he shot them, too. Breivik continued his rampage around the island, luring youths from their hiding places by telling them he was a police officer who was there to protect them. When they came out, he gunned them down.

He said his goal was to kill all of the nearly 600 people on the island. He said he had thought about wearing a swastika on his chest, but decided against it because he didn't want people to think he was a Nazi.

The trial continues.