| 12.9°C Dublin

'I lost my child over hospital mistake'

The mother of a 23-year-old man -- who died after an allegedly misread scan -- broke down as she gave evidence to a Medical Council hearing.

"I knew there was something wrong. Nobody listened to me. I was the over-anxious mother fussing about her child. Now I have no child. It's just not good enough," said Barbara Haran.

Barbara's son Mark (right) died after treatment at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda.

She asked why, if radiologist Dr John Hanson, thought her son's MRI scan was grossly abnormal, did he not take urgent action.

"I have to live with the fact that I told my son they didn't make a mistake reading his scan, but I know that they did," said Mrs Haran.

Dr Hanson (40) of Malahide, Co Dublin, a consultant radiologist from Our Lady's, has been accused of professional misconduct following the death of Mark Haran.

The nine charges against him include that he failed to diagnose Mark with acute intracranial pressure and or hydrocephalus -- water on the brain -- after examining an MRI scan, that he failed to communicate his report on the scan "adequately or at all" and he failed to furnish a written report within an adequate time.

Mark, of Moorechurch, Julianstown, Co Meath, the eldest of five children, died at Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, on April 4, 2008, after being transferred there from Our Lady's.

Barbara Haran, an executive officer at the Department of Social Protection, told the committee her son had told her "not to make a fuss" when she insisted on seeing a senior doctor on the night of April 2, when he was admitted to Our Lady of Lourdes for the second time in a fortnight.

He had been discharged on March 28 with medication, a diagnosis of vertigo and assurances that his MRI brain scan was normal.

However when he was readmitted with dizziness, vomiting and a severe headache, the family learned his scan had "a slight abnormality", Mrs Haran said.

They had been upset because it took four hours to find Mr Haran's scan, which had been on Dr Hanson's desk for a week without a written report having been filed on it.