| 15.5°C Dublin

I cannot forgive thugs who left me for dead - DJ


Nero Bobby Omoruyi

Nero Bobby Omoruyi

Nero Bobby Omoruyi

a DJ who was the victim of a savage gang attack where a thug stamped on his head has spoken of his frustration at the legal system.

Mark Jones (24), from Templeogue, south Dublin, had to have a permanent cheek implant surgically fitted and was left with three broken front teeth after the horrific incident that occurred on October 10, 2010.

In total four men have been convicted for their role in the attack including Nero Omoruyi (20), of Dublin's North Circular Road, Dublin.

He was involved in jumping on Mark's head after one of his mates had knocked Mark out.

This all happened when the DJ had chased him after his bag was taken.

Omoruyi was jailed for 18 months as well as Oluwafemi Adetunji (21), of Portlaoise, who was sentenced to four years with two suspended for his role in the attack and for two sexual assaults in a nightclub in Temple Bar. Two other attackers received suspended sentences.

The prosecution was the result of a detailed investigation by gardai based at Pearse Street station, who trawled through hundreds of hours of CCTV, recovered all the stolen property which was taken, and obtained Mark's DNA from shoes seized from Omoruyi.

In an interview with the Herald, Mark and his dad Niall spoke of their deep frustration at the case.

Mark explained: "This happened in October, 2010, but court proceedings were not finalised until July. This is despite the gardai doing great work and catching the culprits within just two weeks."

His dad pointed out that the family felt disappointment that more serious charges against the four were replaced with lesser charges after the defendants made guilty pleas.

"The court process was never about Mark and it was never about the victim," Niall said.

"If the legal professionals involved had to deal with the phone call that I got on the night that Mark was attacked, they might think differently. I was told that he was going to die but yet we felt sidelined in court," Niall added.

Medics informed Mark that if the fractures that he had received on his skull were located just a couple of inches either side from where he got them, he could have been killed in the unprovoked attack.

Another man who was attacked, Ross Butler, received even more serious injuries than Mark in the terrifying incident.

Mark pointed out that after receiving detailed medical treatment and spending five days in hospital, the length of the court process caused him to suffer anxiety and panic attacks.


He said: "It just seemed to go an and on. In the end the judge suggested that the case was suitable for a restorative justice programme but I could not face doing that.

"I am happy with the sentence that Nero got - the most cowardly thing anyone could do is stamp on someone's head especially when you consider that I was already knocked out."

But he said that he will never be able to find it in his heart to forgive. "I can never forgive him for what he did to me, it has changed my life."