| 5.3°C Dublin

I almost died from killer gas in my home - Mrs Brown's Boys star Rory Cowen

Close

Rory at home in Kilmainham

Rory at home in Kilmainham

rory

rory

/

Rory at home in Kilmainham

Mrs Brown's Boys star Rory Cowen has urged every home owner to install a carbon monoxide alarm after he was nearly killed by the poisonous gas in his own house.

The popular actor, who plays Agnes Brown's gay son Rory in the hit comedy, found himself suffering from fatigue and headaches for a number of weeks but didn't know why.

It was only when friend Avri Citron visited and thought he got a strange smell in the house that the truth of what was causing Rory's illness emerged.

"Avri came in and said he got an awful smell in the house.

"He went upstairs and opened the bedroom door where the boiler is and he said I had to get it seen to now," said Rory.

"I called Bord Gais, and they sent out a guy out and as soon as he opened the front bedroom door a beeper that was on his belt started to go off," he added.

"He said 'that's carbon monoxide - out' so we had to leave.

"I genuinely couldn't get over it, but it's all fixed now. I got a brand new boiler on Saturday," Rory said.

"I'm still in shock from it all. I thought carbon monoxide only happened in old dilapidated places, but my house is totally rebuilt," Rory explained.

"The boiler was put in a year ago," he said, adding that he intends to raise the issue with the boiler installer.

Thinking back, Rory said a neighbour's cat, called Ructions, may have noticed the first signs that there was something wrong in the house.

"He has been visiting for the last 10 years from across the road but since September he wouldn't come in," said Rory.

"He might stay at the hall door and finish what he'd be eating, but then he'd be gone again," he added.

"I thought he'd gone off me but maybe he could get the smell and didn't like it.

"Last night for the first time he came in and slept all night in the house," Rory added.

Although Rory could sometimes get a smell in his home, carbon monoxide is invisible and odourless and is known as a silent killer.

It occurs when gas is not fully combusted in a boiler, or if there is a leak in the flue.

cfeehan@herald.ie


Privacy