| 5.2°C Dublin

Hunt goes on for Irishman's killer in US

POLICE investigating the murder of an Irishman in Boston have still made no arrests.

More than a month after the shooting dead of 36-year-old Ciaran O'Conghaile in the city's Dorchester suburb, police said the investigation into his killing is ongoing and has been "fruitful".

Mr O'Conghaile, who had lived in Boston for 12 years, was shot in the chest early on Monday, October 10, just yards from his home.

Originally from Mor village on Inis Meain on the Aran Islands, he is thought to have crossed paths with his killer as he walked the short distance home from a nearby American Legion Post bar.

Rumours of an arrest in the case surfaced on social media websites, The Irish Emigrant reported, but Boston police moved to quell the reports.

A police spokesman said there had been no arrest in the case, but they were following all possible leads.

"It has been progressing and it has been fruitful," he said.

Police said two male suspects were being sought in connection with a robbery at gunpoint in the same neighbourhood on the same night in which a woman was held up.



gunpoint

Five days after the murder of Mr O'Conghaile, a teenager was robbed at gunpoint by a man in the same area.

Police said they have yet to link the two armed robberies in the area to Mr O'Conghaile's murder.

Police investigators believe the Irishman may have been the victim of a botched robbery.

The undocumented construction worker had been returning home after attending that weekend's Irish Heritage Festival when he was gunned down.

One line of inquiry is that a gang of up to three men involved in the armed robbery of a woman in the same area that night may have been responsible for shooting Mr O'Conghaile.

mlavery@herald.ie


Privacy