| 15.5°C Dublin

Hunt for missing men switches to woods

THE search for two missing Dublin men has taken another twist with searches ongoing on the Cavan-Meath border.

Gardai are today trawling fields and woodland for Anthony Keegan (33) and Eoin O'Connor (32) who vanished almost a week ago amid fears a major criminal gang had made threats against them.

A silver Ford Focus car which had been used by the two men was found abandoned last Friday at Lough Owel outside Mullingar.

However, a forensic analysis of the car later found no trace that the men had been the victims of a violent attack.

A major search of Lough Owel, including repeated dives by underwater search teams, found nothing.

However, gardai have now switched the focus of their search to the Cavan-Meath border.

Areas being searched include farmland and woodland in the Mount Nugent area.

The searches are expected to continue for the next 48 hours though it is unclear whether the operation is linked to specific intelligence.

Eoin O'Connor's father Noel (57) said their families want them back "whether they are dead or alive".

DEBT

"I would plead with whoever is responsible not to make things worse and return them to their families," he told the Herald.

Eoin and his friend Anthony were last seen when they travelled from Dublin to Cavan to reportedly collect a €15,000 drugs debt for a member of a criminal gang.

They are believed to have visited a house in Ballyjamesduff.

Before they left Dublin, they told relatives if they did not come back later that night that the gardai should be contacted.

Officers received an anonymous call on Wednesday saying the men had been murdered and dumped in a field.

Searches in the Virginia, Ballyjamesduff and Bailieborough areas of Cavan were launched after the pair went missing.

HNEWS@HERALD.IE


Privacy