| 11.8°C Dublin

How murdered taxi driver tried to fight off his killer

A MURDERED taxi driver fought desperately for his life against his killer.

The Herald can reveal that Michael Healy (63) sustained serious head injuries in a brutal assault -- and was then left dying on the floor of a St Luke's flat near Cork city centre.

Gardai have launched a hunt for Mr Healy's murderer.

It is believed that Mr Healy desperately tried to protect himself from his attacker before succumbing to head injuries.

His body was discovered by a family member who had gone to check on his welfare after relatives, friends and workmates became concerned at not seeing Mr Healy for several days.

The grim discovery was made at 9.45am yesterday morning.

His body was discovered in his flat at Rockspring Terrace in St Luke's on the northside of Cork city.


The building is a large, old family home which was converted several years ago into flats. There are a total of 10 flats and bedsits in the complex.

The area is well-known for its large number of rented premises -- being just a few minutes walk from Cork city centre and Kent Station.

Mr Healy was originally from the Grenagh area but had been living in St Luke's for some time. He had been working as a taxi driver.

Gardai immediately sealed off the Rockspring Terrace premises to allow for a detailed examination by members of the Garda Technical Bureau.

Detectives are now hoping that DNA and fingerprint analysis may yield a vital breakthrough.

State pathologist Dr Marie Cassidy conducted a preliminary examination of the body in the flat yesterday afternoon.

Mr Healy's remains were later transferred to Cork University Hospital (CUH) where a full post mortem was conducted last night.


Uniformed gardai commenced door-to-door inquiries in both the St Luke's and Montenotte areas of Cork in a bid to determine the last movements of Mr Healy.

Mr Healy had been living in the St Luke's area for several years and was a familiar figure locally.

Detectives will now examine CCTV security camera footage from business premises in the area to try and trace his last known movements -- and anyone who may have been in his company at the time.

Locals have expressed deep shock at the grim discovery.

"This is a really quiet area -- no-one can believe it really.

"The first I knew about it was when I was walking home and saw all the gardai around the place," one man explained.