| 19.1°C Dublin

Heroin, cash and popcorn carts seized in raid on feud dealer


The scene of the raid at a house in Finglas

The scene of the raid at a house in Finglas

The scene of the raid at a house in Finglas

Gardai seized a "significant" amount of heroin and cash in a raid targeting one of the main players in the bitter Finglas feud.

Our exclusive photos show gardai during the lengthy daylight raid at a property in Finglas yesterday.

More than a dozen gardai, including armed officers, were involved in the raid which began at around 4.30pm.

Gardai blocked a street in the area for a short period and there were tense scenes as they attempted to gain entry to the property.

The 31-year-old target and a female relative were detained at the scene and were being questioned last night at Finglas and Blanchardstown garda stations under drugs trafficking legislation.



Gardai speak with a man at the door of the property

Gardai speak with a man at the door of the property

Gardai speak with a man at the door of the property

A number of popcorn carts were also seized.

The target is a convicted dealer who previously received a lengthy suspended jail sentence for his role in a cannabis cultivation scheme in which more than €200,000 of plants were seized in a northside growhouse in June 2014.

He is associated with a number of Hutch-aligned criminals who have been feuding with the mob led by cartel-aligned drug dealer 'Mr Flashy'.

The feud has seen numerous violent incidents in the area over the past two years.

He suffered a gunshot wound to his hand in a bizarre incident last April in broad daylight at Cardiffsbridge Road, Finglas, which led to more than 20 armed officers storming his home.

The tragic death of his close associate Shane Fowler (32) last May increased tensions after gardai received intelligence that Mr Flashy's crew could target a pub where mourners gathered after the funeral mass.

Fowler was killed after his motorcycle smashed into a pole on Dunsink Park, Finglas, on last May's bank holiday weekend.

He was taken to Connolly Memorial Hospital where he was treated for serious neck injuries.

However, he was pronounced dead a short time later.

Immediately after the fatal crash, a firearm was discovered as paramedics from the Dublin Fire Brigade were treating Fowler at the scene.

However, before gardai arrived, an unknown male emerged from the crowd that had formed around the crash and picked up the handgun before fleeing the scene.

Despite multiple searches, gardai did not recover the weapon.

Tensions have been extremely high in Finglas in recent days with a number of serious incidents taking place.

These include a savage assault in a Finglas pub last weekend on a middle-aged woman who is known to the target of yesterday's garda raid.

She is understood to have suffered severe facial injuries.